Being more active
<< Back to Health
Simple tips to increase your fitness level
For Children and Families
- Move more. Try to get between 30 to 60 minutes of physical activity every day. Several 10 to 15 minute sessions of moderate activity each day add up.
- Include regular physical activity into your daily routine. Walk as a family before or after meals.
- Limit TV, computer and video game time to a total of one to two hours per day. Encourage physical activity instead.
- Balance energy calories with activity calories. The energy you get from the foods and beverages should equal the calories you burn in activity every day. Read our handout on daily calorie needs for more information.
- Increase household activities (e.g., walking the dog, dusting, vacuuming, gardening). These activities are good ways to burn calories.
- Include an activity like hiking or bike riding when you go on vacation.
- Make playtime with your family more active by shooting hoops or walking to the park.
- Move more. Walking is an easy way to be more active every day.
- Park the car in a spot farther away from the store or your office and walk.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Get off the bus one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way.
- Use an exercise machine or lift weights while watching television.
- Walk to do errands.
- Be a role model for your children. Do something active every day.